Sullivan County Manuscript Collection 0105
Archives and History Division
Sullivan County Department of Archives and Tourism
3425 Highway 126, Suite 100
Blountville, Tennessee 37617
War of the Rebellion series, Atlases
Sullivan County Manuscript Collection 0105.
1 oversized box
Material in English.
Archives and History Division, Sullivan County Department of Archives and Tourism, Blountville, Tennessee.
The collection was donated by Tony Marion to the Archives and History Division, Sullivan County Department of Archives and Tourism in November 2013.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted materials.
Shelia Steele Hunt processed the collection and developed the finding aid in December 2013.
ACCESS AND RESTRICTIONS
There are no restrictions on use of this manuscript collection for research purposes. It is the responsibility of the individual user to ascertain copyright restrictions, obtain permissions and to prepare proper citation and credit statements. The researcher assumes all legal responsibility for observing laws of copyright and common law literary rights.
This collection should be cited as:
War of the Rebellion series Atlases, MSS 0105, Archives and History Division, Sullivan County Department of Archives and Tourism, Blountville, Tennessee.
SCOPE AND CONTENT
This collection is a select portion of the original Atlas published in 1895 to accompany the War of the Rebellion series.
About the Original Atlas
The Atlas to Accompany the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies (also referred to as the War of the Rebellion Atlas) was published as a companion piece to the Official Records of the American Civil War. It contains maps and other images derived from materials generated by both Union and Confederate military personnel during the American Civil War. The original Atlas was published by the United States Department of War in 1895. It features maps of engagements large and small including Gettysburg, the Siege of Vicksburg, Shiloh and the various epochs of the Atlanta campaign. The original Atlas is composed of 178 plates containing more than 1,050 individual graphic elements. Graphic elements include maps, line art illustrations derived from photographs, technical drawings, and other illustrations. The original Atlas contains three general types of illustrations: maps, illustrations based on photographs, and illustrations/technical drawings.
- Plate VII (7) – Surveys for Military Defenses Map of Northeastern Virginia and Vicinity of Washington -- Created by J.J. Young, W. Hasselbach
- Plate VIII (8) – Surveys for Military Defenses and Vicinity of Washington -- Created by J.J. Young and W. Hasselbach
- Plate IX (9) – Map of the Battlefield of Carnifix Ferry -- Military Reconnaissance. Vicinity of Gauley Bridge. -- Sketch of the Country about Somerset, KY. -- Created by W.R. Raynolds, W. Margadant, Angelo W. Powel
- Plate XVI (16) – Part of the map of the Military Department of Southeastern Virginia and Fort Monroe -- Created by Abbott
- Plate XVII (17) – Reconnaissance toward Lee's Mill, VA. April 28, 1862 -- Picket line of First Brigade and reconnaissance toward Lee's Mill, VA. April 28, 1862 -- Part of the map of the Military Department of Southeastern Virginia and Fort Monroe showing the approaches to Richmond and Petersburg -- Created by Abbott
- Plate XVIII (18) – Military reconnaissance Department of Virginia -- Campaign maps, Army of the Potomac, Map No. 1 Yorktown to Williamsburg -- Created by Worret, Humphreys
- Plate XIX (19) – Official plan of the siege of Yorktown, VA. -- Sketch No. 1, Mulberry Island, VA. -- White House to Harrison's Landing -- Sketch No. 2, Principal work on Mulberry Island, VA. -- Campaign maps, Army of the Potomac Map No. 2 Williamsburg to White House -- Created by Humphreys
- Plate XXI (21) – Rough Sketch of Reconnaissance -- Sketch of the Battle of New Market, VA. -- Map illustrating the Battle of Hanover, VA. -- Engagement near Hanover court-house, VA. -- Reconnaissance made on the afternoon of May the 23rd 1862 -- Battle of Mechanicsville, VA. -- Map of March from Mount Airy to Old Church, VA. -- Skirmish between two rebel batteries and Battery B, 1st Md. Arty. -- Map to accompany the report of Brig. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart, C.S. Army Commanding Pamunkey expedition to the enemy's rear June 13, 14 and 15, 1862 -- Malvern Hill, VA. Morell's Division July 1st 1862 -- Topography of the Battle-field of Cross Keys, VA. -- Engagement near Hanover Court-House, VA. May 27 1862 -- Map of route and positions First Corps, Army of Virginia -- Created by Kappner, Pilsen
- Plate XXII (22) – Position of troops at sunset -- Battle-field of Manassas, VA. -- Map of the field operations of the Army of Virginia -- Map of the operations of the cavalry brigade -- Map of the battle-field of Bull Run -- Battle-field of Cedar Mountain -- Map No. 3. Operations of the Army of Virginia under Maj. Gen. John Pope. Position of troops on the night of August 27th 1862 -- Created by Hoelcke, Stengel, de Fonvielle, Blackford
- Plate XXIII (23) – Map of the operation of the cavalry division during the advance of the Army of Northern Virginia toward the Rappahannock -- Map of the engagement at Secessionville, James Islands, SC -- Operations of Stuart's cavalry division around Groveton -- Map of route taken by scouting party -- Map of cavalry expedition to Catlett's Station -- Map of route and positions First Corps, Army of Virginia -- Department of the Gulf Map No. 7 Grand Lake Region -- Diagram showing the position of the 3d Brigade on the battle field October 3, 1862 -- Map of the engagement at Secessionville, James Island, S.C., June 16, 1862 -- Diagram showing the field of battle October 3rd and 4th 1862 -- Created by Abbot, Blackford
- Plate XXV (25) – Map of the route followed by the Cavalry Division through Maryland into Pennsylvania -- Sketch showing the positions of Pontoon bridges and guns covering them at Fredericksburg, VA. -- Sketch of the Engagement at Bayou Fourche, Ark. -- Plan for the battle of Corinth -- Map of the ground on which was fought the battle of Iuka, Miss. -- Map showing the Intrenchments around Wilmington -- Created by Turner, James, Blackford
- Plate XXVI (26) – Plan of Fort Esparanza, Tex. -- Map of Morris Island -- Proposed secondary line of defense on the peninsula between the Ashepoo and Combaheer Rivers, S.C. -- Military Map of Suffolk and Vicinity -- Created by Soederquist
- Plate XXVIII (28) – Engagement at deserted house or Kelly's Store near Suffolk, VA. January 30th, 1863 -- Map of the battle of the Antietam -- Map of that portion of the battle-field of Antietam occupied by the troops under Maj. Gen. Burnside -- Battle-field of Gettysburg, July 1-4, 1863 -- Map of the position of the cavalry during the engagement of April 4th, 1863 -- Map of the battle of the Antietam -- Created by Peters, Fillebrown, Waters
- Plate XXXII (32) – Rebel fortifications, Grand Gulf, Miss. Surveyed May, 1863 -- Skirmishes near Liberty Gap, Tenn. June 24-26, 1863 -- Plan of the Battles on Stone's River before Murfreesborough -- Positions of the divisions of Humphreys, Whipple, Griffin and Sykes at the Battle of Fredericksburg on Dec. 13, 1862 -- Plan of Sabine Pass, of its defenses and means of communication -- Map of the approaches to Little Rock, Ark. made under directions from Maj. Gen. Sterling Price -- Created by Ulffers, Morris, Kellersberg, Macke
- Plate XXXIII (33) – Fredericksburg, Prepared by Bvt. Brig. Gen. N. Michler, Major of Engineers -- Sketch of the battle of Big Mound -- Map of the fight of the 14th A.C at Buzzard Roost, GA. -- Map accompanying report of the battle of Dry Fork Creek, Mo. -- Sketch of the battle at Dead Buffalo Lake -- Map exhibiting the route of the Sioux Expedition under the command of Brig. Gen. H.H. Sibley, 1863 -- Created by Weyss, Theilkuhl, Strasser, Thompson, McCloud, Wiseman, Wagne
- Plate LI (51) – A map of Mississippi from Vicksburg on the Mississippi River to Meridian, including Jackson, Miss and the routes of Union and Confederate forces. Three inset maps: a 8 1/4" x 8" Sketch of the City of Atlanta and Line of Defenses, showing streets, raillines, and the defensive perimeter; a 4 1/2" x 8" Sketch of a defensive battery in Atlanta; and a 14" x 8" Map of Smith's Island, N.C. including Confederate defenses at Fort Holmes. Total 27 1/4" x 17" within plate, 29 1/4" x 18 1/4" at margins
- Plate LII (52) – Valley of the Red River, La. from Mississippi River to Shreveport -- Valley of the Red River, La. from Mississippi River to Shreveport part 2 -- Created by Von Kamecke
- Plate LIII (53) – Sketch of the battle-field of Ocean Pond, Fla. February 20th 1864 -- Part of Louisiana -- Section including the Falls and Dam in Red River -- Parts of Arkansas and Louisiana -- Created by Grant
- Plate LIV (54) – Map of Texas and Part of New Mexico 2. Battle-Field at New Creek, W.VA. 3. Battle-Field at Pleasant Mills Near Cumberland, MD.
- Plate LXI (61) – This Plate contains the following map(s). PlateLXI 1. Position Left Wing 16th Army Corps Lovjuys Station, GA. 2. Official Report of General Frank p. Blair 17th Army Corps 3. Position of the 17th Army Corps Before Atlanta, GA. 4. Topographical Sketch of the Battle of Bethel, VA. 5. Position Near Jonesborough, GA. 2nd Division Army Corps 6. Sketch of the Siege of Blakely, ALA. 7. Position of the Left Wing 16th Division Army Corps Near Jonesborough, GA. 8. Position of the Left Wing 16th Army Corps 9. Line of March of Left Wing 16th Army Corps 10. Position of the Left Wing 16th Army Corps, Resaca, GA. 11. the Left Wing 16th Army Corps 12. Position 16th Army Corps 13. the Left Wing 16th Army Corps 14. the Left Wing 16th Army Corps Near Owen's Mill, GA. 15. Position 16th Army Corps
- Plate LXIV (64) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate LXIV 1. English Department HDQRS. Of the Potamac; 2. Plan Line of Defense of the U.S. Forces; 3. Artillery Army of the Potomac; 4. Reconnaissance Beyond the Chickahominy at Bottom's and Railroad Bridges
- Plate LXV (65) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate LXV 1. Engineer Office 10th Army Corps Sketch 8 Road Between Bermuda Hundred and Enemy's First Line of Entrenchment's on the North and Petersburg 2. Greens Station 3. Marietta, Atlanta and Campbellton 4. Schofield Crossing the Chattahoochee 5. Marietta 6. No.3 Sketch of Defensive Works and Deep Bottom, VA. 7. Dutch Gap, James River, VA. 8. Plan of Dutch Gap Canal and Fortifications James River, VA. 9. No.2 Road from Pontoon-Bridge at Point of Rocks to Petersburg, Line of Works 18th Army Corps 10. Coast of Texas and its Defenses
- Plate LXVII (67) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate LXVII 1. Federal Point, N.C.; 2. Fort Pemberton near Greenwood Miss.; 3. Map of New Berne, N.C.; 4. Plan of Defensive Works at Harrison's Landing; 5. Powder Vessel Exploded off Fort Fisher, N.C.; 6. Plan, Section and Elevation of Board Loophole; 7. Union Defensive Lines, Deep Bottom, Va.; 8. Sketch Showing the Position West of the Weldon Railroad; 9. Sketch Showing Positions of Batteries and Lines of the U.S. Forces in Front of Petersburg, Va.; 10. Lookout and Signal Tower at Crows Nest near Bermuda Hundred, Va.
- Plate LXVIII (68) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate LXVIII 1. Defensive Lines 18th Army Corps from Fort Brady to Fort Burnham; 2. Defensive Lines 10th Army Corps from Fort Burnham; 3. Map of Battle-Filed of Five Forks, Va.; 4. Redoubt and Signal Stations on Cobb's Hill, Va.; 5. Battle of Betonville, N.C.; 6. Map Showing the Pontoon Bridge over the James River; 7. Chart of the Obstructions in the Cape Fear and Brunswick Rivers; 8. Plan ,Section, and Elevation of Casmate in Fort Burnham; 9. Plan of the Cantonment at Gravelly Springs, Ala.
- Plate LXIX (69) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate LXIX 1. Map of the Upper Potomac from Mc Coys Ferry to Conrad's Ferry and Parts of Maryland and Virginia; 2. Map of the Upper Potomac from Mc Coys Ferry to Conrad's Ferry and Parts of Maryland and Virginia; 3. Map of the Battle-Field of Cedar Creek Va.; 4. Plate Showing the Positions of the 15th Army Corps; 5. Map Showing the March Routes of the Army of Tennessee from Atlanta to Savannah
- Plate LXXV (75) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate LXXV 1. Sketch of Vicinity of Fort Fisher; 2. Plan of Fort Fisher Assault by the U.S. Forces; 3. Plan of the Final Attack on Fort Fisher
- Plate LXXX (80) – Campaign maps exhibiting the line of march of the 20th Corps from Savannah, Ga., to Goldsborough, N.C., with the plans of the battle-fields of Averysborough and Bentonville, N.C., from Surveys of Topographical Engineers 20th Corps. Position of troops by Lieut. Col. C.W. Asmussen, A.I.G. 20th Corps. -- Map showing the Positions of the 14th and 20th Corps and Kilpatrick's Cavalry, in an engagement near Bentonville, N.C., March 19th, 1865 -- Rough sketch of Taylor's Store, Ala. and surrounding country -- Map of Battle of Black River, N.C., fought March 16th, 1865 (Averysborough) -- Created by McDowell
- Plate LXXXVI (86) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate LXXXVI 1- 7, Campaign Maps Report of Bvt. Maj. Gen. W.J. Geary U.S. Army Savannah, GA. To Goldsborough, N.C. 2nd Div. 20th Corps; 8-16, 7 Campaign Maps Report of Bvt. Maj. Gen. W.J. Geary U.S. Army Goldsborough, N.C. Washington D.C. 2nd Div. 20th Corps
- Plate XCI (91) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate XCI 1. Chief Engineer's Office D.N.V. Map of Spotsylvania County; 2. The Vicinity of Hanover Junction, VA. And its Defenses Campbell; 3. Sketch Route Pursued in the Advance to Goldsborough, N.C.; 4. Sketch Showing Position of Boyd's Neck, Honey Hill, Devaux's Neck, S.C.; 5. Sketch of Spanish Fort Defenses Made During the Siege
- Plate XCII (92) – A 27" x 16 1/4" map of Richmond and surrounding areas, including Chesterfield, Henrico, Hanover, Charles City, New Kent, and James City Counties. Three inset maps: parts of Hanover, New Kent Counties. Total 27 1/4" x 17" within plate, 29 1/4" x 18 1/4" at margins
- Plate XCIII (93) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate XCIII 1. Map of Chancellorsville, Va.; 2.Map of the South Side of the James River.
- Plate XCVIII (98) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate XCVIII 1. Map of the Military Department of new Mexico; 2. Sketch Showing the Battle of Chickamauga, Ga.; 3. Sketch of a Skirmish at Dardanelle, Ark.; 4. Diagram of the Battle-Field of Shiloh, Tenn.
- Plate CII (102) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate CII 1. Defenses of Munfordville, Ky.; 2. Defenses of Camp Nelson, Ky.; 3. Louisville and its Defenses
- Plate CIV (104) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate CIV Has 12 drawings of Forts, Enemy Works, and Batteries in and around Petersburg, Va.
- Plate CV (105) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate CV 1. Rebel Defenses Mobile, Ala. 2. Map of Lines of the Enemy 3. Sketch of Affair at Rappahannock Station, Va.; 4. Position or Army Troops at Columbia, Tenn.; 5. Operations from New Berne, N.C. to Kinston; 6. Sketch of the Battle-Filed of West Harpeth River, Tenn.; 7. Sketch of the Enemy's Works in Front of Petersburg, Va.; 8. Map of the Front of Wilmington, N.C.; 9. Sketch of the battle of Franklin, Tenn.
- Plate CX (110) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate CX 1. Campaign of the Army of West Mississippi
- Plate CXIII (113) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Plate CXIII 1. Defenses of Chattanooga, Tenn. Battery Erwin; 2. Defenses of Chattanooga, Tenn. Battery Coolidge; 3. Defenses of Nashville, Tenn. Battery for Casino Hill; 4. Defenses of Nashville, Tenn. Capitol; 5. Defenses of Nashville, Tenn. Fort Dan. Mc.Cook; 6. Defenses of Nashville, Tenn. Fort Morton; 7. Defenses of Nashville, Tenn. Fort Sill; 8. Defenses of Nashville, Tenn. Fort W.D. Whipple; 9. Defenses of Nashville, Tenn. Redoubt for Hill No.210
- Plate CXIX (119) – Section of the Map of the States of Kansas and Texas and Indian Territory, with parts of the Territories of Colorado and New Mexico
- Plate CXX (120) – March routes of Army of the Tennessee from Savannah, Ga., to Columbia, S.C., 1865 -- Territory and Military Department of Utah. Compiled in the Bureau of Topographl. Engrs. of the War Department chiefly for Military purposes. Under the Authority of Hon. J.B. Floyd, Sec. of War.
- Plate CXXXII (132) – Plan of the Fortifications at Columbus, Ga., 1864 -- Department of Cape Fear. Maj. Gen. W.H.C. Whiting, Commanding. Section of Map of parts of Brunswick and New Hanover Counties. Showing the Approaches to Wilmington, N.C. Made under the direction of Capt. W.H. James, Ch. Engr., B.L. Blackford, 1st Lieut. Engrs. -- North Atlantic Squadron, Rear-Admiral D.D. Porter, Com'd'g. Fort Johnston, Smithville, N.C. Evacuated January 16th, 1865. Taken possession of by the Naval and Military Forces, Jan. 17th, 1865 -- North Atlatnic Squadron, Rear-Admiral D.D. Porter, Commanding. Line of Rebel Works, Smith's Island, N.C. Evauated Jan. 16th, 1865. Taken possession of by the Naval and Military Forces, Jan. 17th, 1865 -- Augusta, Ga., 1864 -- North Atlantic Squadrom, Rear-Admiral D.D. Porter, Com'd'g. Fort Caswell and Adjoining Works at Western Bar Cape Fear River, N.C. Evacuated Jan. 16th, 1865. Taken Possession of by the Naval and Military Forces Jan. 17th, 1865 -- Defenses of Augusta, Ga. From original in possession of Gen. Braxton Bragg, C.S. Army -- Map of the Battle-field of Champion's Hill, Miss., May 16, 1863 -- Created by James, Blackford, Comstock, Tunica, Hovey, Hickenlooper, Ulffers
- Plate CXXXIII (133) – Map of Bird's Point, Mo., From Surveys in the Summer of 1861 -- Map illustrating the Battle of Averasborough, N.C. fought March 16th, 1865, between the Divisions of Genls. Ward and Jackson of the 20th Army Corps and Carlin and Morgan of the 14th Army Corps, All under Command of Maj. Gen. H.W. Slocum, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman being present and the Rebel Forces under Command of Gen. Hardee, resulting in the Defeat of the Rebels -- Map illustrating the Battle of Bentonville, N.C., fought March 19th, 1865, between the United States Forces Commanded by Maj. Gen. H.W. Slocum, and the Rebel Forces Commanded by Gen. Jos. E. Johnson, and the Operations of March 20th and 21st under direction of Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, resulting in the Retreat of the Rebels -- Savannah, Ga. -- Created by Webster, Poe, Hoffmann, Gillmore
- Plate CXXXIV (134) – Essayons Topographical Map of California, Nevada, Oregon and part of Idaho. Prepared from Field Surveys and other Reliable Data Under the direction of Bvt. Lt. Col. R.S. Williamson, Corps of Engrs., U.S.A. Drawn by W.B. Hyde. 1867 -- Essayons Topographical Map of California, Nevada, Oregon and part of Idaho. Prepared from Field Surveys and other Reliable Data Under the direction of Bvt. Lt. Col. R.S. Williamson, Corps of Engrs., U.S.A. Drawn by W.B. Hyde.
- Plate CXXXV (135) – Sketch showing the Positions of the Army on the Battle-field of Chancellorsville, Va., May 1 to 5. -- Defenses of Macon, Ga., 1864 -- Map of the Battle-field of Wilson's Creek, Mo., Aug. 10, 1861 -- Battle of Cedar Mountain, Va. Fought August 9th, 1862 -- Map of Buckingham and Appomattox Counties, Va. -- Map of Hanover, Henrico and Part of Chesterfield Counties, Va. 1864. -- Created by Hoffmann, Hoelcke, Campbell, Cassell, Linton
- Plate CXXXIX (139) – North Carolina and South Carolina
- Plate CXL (140) – Parts of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Kentucky, and West Virginia.
- Plate CXLIV (144) – South Carolina and Georgia.
- Plate CXLV (145) – Georgia and Florida.
- Plate CXLVII (147) – Georgia, Florida, Alabama, and Mississippi.
- Plate CXLVIII (148) – Parts of Misissippi, Georgia and Alabama
- Plate CLI (151) – Parts of Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky.
- Plate CLII (152) – Parts of Missouri and Illinois.
- Plate CLIII (153) – Parts of Missouri, Arkansas, Illinois, Kentucky and Tennessee.
- Plate CLIV (154) – Parts of Arkansas, Tennessee, and Mississippi.
- Plate CLV (155) – Parts of Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
- Plate CLVI (156) – Mississippi and Louisiana.
- Plate CLVII (157) – Parts of Texas and Louisiana
- Plate CLVIII (158) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Parts of Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas
- Plate CLIX (159) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Parts of Indian Territory, Arkansas and Texas.
- Plate CLX (160) – This Plate contains the following map(s). Parts of Indian Territory, Arkansas and Texas
- Plate CLXI (161) – Missouri and Kansas.
- unnumbered varous pieces of large plates that were cut apart
Numerous other collections are currently "in processing".
Return to Manuscripts index.