REGIONAL CALENDAR OF EVENTS
The Sullivan County Department of Archives and Tourism cordially invites you to list your regional event with us, and best of all, it's free! If you have an upcoming tourism event, or an event pertaining to regional history or genealogy, send us an email with "Event Registration" in the subject line. We're happy to help!
Share this page with your friends on Facebook!
Mar. 6, 2014, Thursday
Bristol's Downtown Showcase, 6:00 PM to 8:30 PM, Foundation Event Facility, 620 State Street, Bristol, TN. At the Downtown Showcase, you will experience all the best the heart of our community has to offer. This year's event will be an amazing evening featuring a signature dish from many of our downtown restaurants, a beer & wine tasting, live music by The Harlow Experience, celebrity emcee Mr. Chad Keen, local arts and artists, a fashion show, and much more – all from the Historic Downtown District! A live and silent auction will be held during the course of the evening with exclusive and interesting offerings, including one-month membership to the Carefree Boat Club, a gift certificate for ballroom dance lessons, a 5-course dinner with wine pairing in your own home, a full set of murder mystery books by local author Chuck Thompson, several home décor and fashion items, and much more! The live auction will begin at 8pm and will offer six big items to bid on: a vacation package to Cancun, a rooftop party at the Benjamin Walls Gallery, a Chic in the City package for the ladies, a Fashionable Gentleman’s Outing package, a $500 gift certificate to the Benjamin Walls Gallery, and a Get Into the Spirit package, perfect for the connoisseur of a variety of spirits! Tickets are $55 per person and $100 per couple. Space is limited and interested attendees should call Believe in Bristol at 276-644-9700 or email email@example.com to reserve tickets, though some tickets will be on sale on the door. Bristol’s Downtown Showcase is a fundraiser for Believe in Bristol; all proceeds will benefit the Main Street Program and downtown revitalization efforts.
Mar. 10, 2014, Monday
"Nathan Bedford Forrest & Battle of Fort Pillows", by Brian Steele Wills, 7 PM, Mon., Mar. 10, 2014, Eastman Employee Center, Room 219, Kingsport, TN. Sponsored by the Tri-Cities Civil War Round Table, the program is free and open to the general public. For further information, please email Wayne Strong or call (423) 323-2306.
Mar. 22, 2014, Saturday
Boones Creek Museum Building Fundraiser: Dale Ford's Famous Spaghetti, 4:30 PM to 7:30 PM, Sat., Mar. 22, 2014, Boones Creek Christian Church. Dinner includes spaghetti, salad, garlic bread and dessert. $7 Donation. Carryouts available. Tickets available from Edward Bowman, boones Creek Potters Gallery, Dave Haga's Books (Fall Branch), Boones Creek Pharmacy.
Apr. 12, 2014, Saturday
"Wooly Days" at Rocky Mount - Join the Cobb Family embarking on the customary chores of the springtime and participate in the processing of wool from the shearing of the sheep to the final product, from "sheep to shawl." Tour the historic site and visit with the Cobb family as they celebrate the passing of the harsh winter and prepare for the new growing season. For information, please call (423) 538-7396.
Mar. 10, 2014, Monday
- "Hero or Villian: Gen. Forrest's Attach on Fort Pillow", presented by Brian Steele Wills and sponsored by the Tri-Cities Civil War Roundtable, Mon., March 10, 2014, Eastman Employee Center, Room 219, Kingsport, TN. For additional information, please contact Wayne Strong.
May 1, 2014, Thursday
- National Day of Prayer Service, 12 Noon, Sullivan County Courthouse, Blountville, TN.
May 12, 2014, Monday
- "Battle of Johnsonville: Nov. 4-5, 1864", presented by Jerry Wooten and sponsored by the Tri-Cities Civil War Roundtable, Mon., May 12, 2014, Eastman Employee Center, Room 219, Kingsport, TN. For additional information, please contact Wayne Strong.
Jun. 7, 2014, Saturday
- Drake Cemetery Memorial Dedication, 2 PM, Sat., Jun. 7, 2014, Elizabethton, TN. Event is sponsored by the Sons of Confederate Veterans, Lt. Robert J. Tipton Camp #2083, Elizabethton.
The following press release is courtesy of the Lt. Robert J. Tipton Camp #2083:
BLACK CONFEDERATE PENSIONER—ROBERT "BOB" STOVER (Jan 12, 1846-Aug 15, 1924) OF CARTER COUNTY, TN--HEAD STONE DEDICATION AND MEMORIAL SERVICE-JUNE 7, 2014:
Drake Cemetery, on the outskirts of Elizabethton, holds the graves of two men from different walks of life who wound up on opposing sides of the War for Southern Independence. One was a slave, who accompanied his master, Samuel Murray Stover into Virginia to serve as a Teamster in the C.S.A. His name was Robert "Bob" Stover. Returning from Virginia, Samuel M. and Robert were captured by the Union army at Fall Branch, TN in March of 1865 and returned to Elizabethton. He received a Confederate pension, (C-91), from the State of Tennessee. A brother of Samuel Murray Stover was named Daniel Stover, who was a son-in-law of President Andrew Johnson. Daniel also became commanding officer of the 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment (U.S.A.) A memorial head stone for Bob Stover will be dedicated, in ceremony, on June 7, 2014. The military service of both Robert Stover and Colonel Stover will be saluted by Honor Guards of the 4th Tennessee Infantry, U.S.A. and Company F 59th Tennessee Mounted Infantry, C.S.A. As the sesquicentennial period of the war winds down, it is good to remember the families in divided Carter County who endured that era. The ceremony is sponsored by the Lt. Robert J. Tipton Camp #2083, Sons of Confederate Veterans, of Elizabethton. The event is scheduled to begin at 2:00 p.m. Directions to Drake Cemetery are: Drake Cemetery is located north of the Watauga River and west of Highway 19E. From Elizabethton, take Hwy 19E north across the Watauga River, then take the Lovers Lane exit going west. Turn right [north] onto Fitzsimmons Hill Road. Then turn right [east] onto Jim Rains Road. Travel to the first house, keeping left. Turn right into the first driveway. The cemetery will be on your right. A short uphill walk will be necessary. Handicapped assistance will be available. For additional information, contact Scott Bowers at 423-773-6374 or Bill Hicks at 423-542-6782.
Jun. 9, 2014, Monday
"Charles Wilden Views the Overland Campaign: Wilderness and Spotsylvania", by Gordon Rhea, Historian/Attorney, 7 PM, Mon., Jun. 9, 2014, Eastman Employee Center, Room 219, Kingsport, TN. Sponsored by the Tri-Cities Civil War Round Table, the program is free and open to the general public. For further information, please email Wayne Strong or call (423) 323-2306.
Jul. 4, 2014, Friday
- BLOUNTVILLE RURITAN INDEPENDENCE DAY PARADE, 2 PM, Fri., Jul 4, downtown Blountville.
- Independence Day Celebration at Historic Rocky Mount - Come and celebrate with the Cobb Family our day of Independence this year in traditional ways: the reading of the Declaration of Independence, hanging ribbons on the 'Liberty Tree', and honoring those who won and those who protect our freedom. For information, please call (423) 538-7396.
Jul. 14, 2014, Monday
- Fun Fest Civil War event, sponsored by the Tri-Cities Civil War Roundtable, Mon., July 14, 2014, Renaissance Center, Kingsport, TN. Details to be announced. For additional information, please contact Wayne Strong.
Jul. 19, 2014, Saturday
- Graveyard Tales at Historic Rocky Mount - The Jonesborough Storytellers Guild will be weaving tales of spooks and haunts that will chill your spine, even on a warm summer night. Come for a taste of Halloween in July. This is an annual fundraiser for the Jonesborough Storytellers Guild. For information, please call (423) 538-7396.
Aug. 11, 2014, Monday
"1864 Battles of 1st and 2nd Deep Bottom, Lee and His Generals", by R. E. Lee Krick, Richmond Author/Historian, 7 PM, Mon., Aug. 11, 2014, Eastman Employee Center, Room 219, Kingsport, TN. Sponsored by the Tri-Cities Civil War Round Table, the program is free and open to the general public. For further information, please email Wayne Strong or call (423) 323-2306.
Aug. 21-24, 2014
- 5th Annual Smoky Mountain Military & Relic Show, Aug. 21-24, Pigeon Forge, TN. On August 21st through the 24th the city of Pigeon Forge will host a Freedom
Celebration. They will be Welcoming Home
Vietnam Veterans and honoring ALL who have
served America. 2014 will feature a grand
parade from light #4 with a welcome home
crowd lining the sideways and honoring the
parade as they drive by. The parade will end at
the Smoky Mountain Convention Center
which will be hosting the 5th Annual Smoky
Mountain Military & Relic Show
extravaganza on August 23rd and 24th. There
will be a VVA Color Guard Competition,
Military Vehicle Restoration Competition and
special coupon packages for the entire
weekend. The ticket package includes Smoky
Mountain Military & Relic Show, Smoky
Mountain Opry's Salute to Patriots, Celebrate
Freedom Concert (sponsored by Compassion
International), Dixie Stampede's Vietnam
Veteran's Salute and Sunday Morning
Remembrance. For further info, please contact Coordinator, Lynn Hammond, or visit the website for updates.
Sep. 8, 2014
- Tri-Cities Civil War Roundtable meeting, Mon., Sep. 8, 2014, Eastman Employee Center, Room 219, Kingsport, TN. For additional information, please contact Wayne Strong.
Sep. 8 and 15, 2014
- Overmountain Victory Trail Event at Historic Rocky Mount - Members of the Overmountain Victory Trail Association will present a special night of 'candlelight narration’ in their campsites as they recreate the fateful evening of September 24, 1780, their encampment with the Cobb Family and the triumphant over-the-mountains march to victory at Kings Mountain. For information, please call (423) 538-7396.
Sep. 13, 2014
- 6th ANNUAL HISTORIC BLOUNTVILLE FLEA MARKET & YARD SALE, beginning at 8 AM, Sat., Sept. 13, 2014, Historic downtown Blountville, TN. One of the largest Flea Markets in Northeast TN, the event is fun for the entire family! Vendors must be registered by Fri., Sept. 5, 2014. Call 423.323.4660 for further information. Don't miss this one!
Sep. 20-21, 2014
- Battle of Blountville Commemoration Ceremony, Sat.-Sun., Sept. 20-21, 2014, downtown Blountville, TN. Sponsored by the Battle of Blountville Civil War Military Park.
Oct. 2-5, 2014
150th Anniversary of the East Tennessee, Campaigns, October 2-5, 2014, Myers Farm, 3415 Gap Creek Rd., Bulls Gap, TN. Event organized by The Armies of Tennessee. For additional info, please visit www.easttennesseecampaign.com.
Oct. 10-12, 2014, Friday-Sunday
Battle of Blountville Civil War Reenactment, Oct. 10-12, 2014, Historic Blountville, TN. Event brought to you by 2014 Battle of Blountville Reenactment Committee, Battle of Blountville Civil War Military Park, and the Sullivan County Department of Archives and Tourism. For information, please call Chairman Ric Dulaney at 423.863.5247. Further details to be announced in January 2014.
- Overmountain Men 15K Race, Sat., Oct. 11, 2014. The public is invited to the 4th Annual Overmountain Men Victory Run from Sycamore Shoals to Rocky Mount to commemorate the victorious return route of the Overmountain Men following the Battle of King's Mountain on October 7, 1780. Runners and non-runners are invited to participate in the activities of the day. For details check the Rocky Mount website: www.rockymountmuseum.com.
Oct. 13, 2014, Monday
- Tri-Cities Civil War Roundtable meeting, Mon., Oct. 13, 2014, Eastman Employee Center, Room 219, Kingsport, TN. For additional information, please contact Wayne Strong.
Oct. 18, 2014, Saturday
- Spirit of the Harvest, Sat., Oct. 18, 2014, Rocky Mount Historic Site, Piney Flats, TN. Participate with the family and friends of the Cobb Family as they gather in the rewards of their labor throughout this productive year with the harvest of the crops and the preparations being made for the long winter season. For details check the Rocky Mount website: www.rockymountmuseum.com.
Nov. 10, 2014
- "William T. Sherman departs Atlanta on the March to the Sea: Leaving Atlanta in Ruins", presented by Ed Bearrs, Tri-Cities Civil War Roundtable meeting, Mon., Nov. 10, 2014, Eastman Employee Center, Room 219, Kingsport, TN. For additional information, please contact Wayne Strong.
Nov. 11, 2014, Tuesday
- Veterans Day Candlelight Tribute at Historic Rocky Mount, Tues., Nov. 11, 2014 - A special walk through time to honor the men and women who have sacrificed to win and keep our freedom and way of life secure on the battlefield and at home.
For details check the Rocky Mount website: www.rockymountmuseum.com.
Dec. 8, 2014
- Tri-Cities Civil War Roundtable meeting, Mon., Dec. 8, 2014, Eastman Employee Center, Room 219, Kingsport, TN. For additional information, please contact Wayne Strong.
Dec. 11-13, 2014
- Historic Blountville Annual Christmas Tree Lighting, 6 PM, Thurs., Dec. 11, 2014, historic Sullivan County Courthouse in downtown Blountville.
- Blountville Ruritan Annual Christmas Parade, 2 PM, downtown Blountville, TN.
- Tours of the Olde Deery Inn, details to be announced. Blountville, TN.
Dec. 5, 6, 12, and 13, 2014
- Candlelight Christmas at Historic Rocky Mount, Piney Flats, TN. A special time of the year to join with the Cobb Family in celebration of Christmas in the year 1791 with candlelight and decorations as the custom of the late 18th century before the heavy commercialization we know today. Music, dancing, decorations and sacred tales will all be part of your experience this magical evening.
For details check the Rocky Mount website: www.rockymountmuseum.com.
Ongoing Events in the Region:
- Blountville Farmers Market, 2:30 PM, each Thurs. beginning in April of each year, located behind the old Sullivan County Courthouse at Blountville. Info at 423.323.4660.
- Kingsport Farmers Market, 7 AM to 1 PM, Wednesdays and Saturdays, corner of Clinchfield and Center Streets. Info at 423.246.6550.
- Bristol Farmers Market, May 1 thru October 31, Saturdays 7 AM to Noon, and Wednesdays 3 PM to 7 PM.
- Antique Car Show, Friday nights, 6 PM to 8 PM, May thru October, 2012, TriSummit Bank parking lot across from the train station in downtown Bristol. Info at 423.646.7780.
- Appalachian Ghostwalks, ongoing daily/nightly tours. Reservations required. Interested parties should call (423) 743-WALK (9255) for reservations.
- Netherland Inn, Open Saturday and Sunday - May through October.
Hours: 2p.m. to 4p.m. Admission: Adults $4.00 and age 6 and under $1.00.
Group Tours: April through October by appointment- School, Civic and Church Groups Welcome!
- Old Deery Inn and Museum, open by reservation for group tours of 8 or more. Tickets are $5 per person; children under 12 are $3. (423) 323-4660.
- Sons of the Confederate Veterans, John Singleton Mosby Camp #1409, meets at 6PM, 4th Monday of each month, Mama's House Buffet, John B. Dennis Parkway, Kingsport, TN.
- Sons of the Confederate Veterans, Lt. Stephen Powell Camp, meets at 7PM, 3rd Monday of each month, 2nd Floor Commission Room, Sullivan County Courthouse, Blountville.
- Sullivan County Historical and Genealogical Society meets at 7PM, 3rd Thursday evening of each month, 2nd Floor Commission Room, Sullivan County Courthouse, downtown Blountville. Free admission. General public is cordially invited. (423) 323-4660.
- TAMHA Traditional Appalachian Music Heritage Association holds jam sessions at 6PM every Friday at the Anderson Townhouse in historic downtown Blountville. Jams are also held from 2-4 PM at the Bristol Tennessee Welcome Center on the 2nd Saturday of the month. Free and open to the general public.
GET YOUR EVENT LISTED HERE! To have your event listed with us, email us or call (423) 323-4660.